Here it is my first post..say hello to Marble Chiffon cake...
Chiffon cake is one of my favourite cake in the world.
Moist...light...and very delightful :)
So I found this old recipe in my Mom's old cook book (what i meant with old is 1978 cook book..this book is a little older than me!)..and really wanted to try it and so I did! The cake came out beautifully..and almost perfect.
For those who wants to try this, here is the recipe:
1 cup of egg whites, about 7-8 eggs (room temperature)
5 egg yolks
1/2 cup cooking / vegetable oil
2 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1/2 cup sugar
mix together and set aside to cool:
1/3 cup cocoa
1/4 boiling water
Sift together into a bowl:
2 cups sifted flour
1 cup sugar
1 tbs baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
- Make a well in center of dry ingredients, add the oil, egg yolks, water and vanilla extract. Beat until smooth and set aside.
- Beat the egg whites until frothy. Beat in cream of tartar, add gradually, beating well after each addition 1/2 cup of sugar. Beat until round peaks are formed.
- Slowly pour egg yolk mixture and gently fold together until just blended.
- Pour half of batter into another bowl, pour cocoa mixture gently folding until blended.
- Immediately pour alternate layers of dark and light batter into 10-in tubed pan, rotating pan as you pour. Cut through batter with knife or spatula to give a marble effect.
- Bake at 325F / 170C for 55min, then at 350F / 180C for 15 min, or until the cake surface spring back when lightly touched.
- Immediately invert pan on end of tube, wait until completely cool before removing cake from the pan.