Rolls Tapioca Dessert or Cenil is Indonesian traditional sweet/dessert. It is definitely one of popular dessert in Indonesia. It is sweet and slightly salty, seasoned with grated coconut...oh it's just beautiful!
I have been craving for this dessert for a while...so I braved myself to try making this beautiful dessert.
The recipe looks simple but it's actually not an easy one to do. The same also with many other Indonesian dessert recipes...they look simple but they are not! .... anyway I did it and it was not too bad! But it could be better. Will try again next time!
- 250 gram Tapioca flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Red and green food coloring
- 200 gram grated coconut
- 125 cc boiling hot water
- 100 gram Sugar
- Mix the tapioca flour with sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, mix well.
- Add the boiling water, mix it until smooth.
- Divide the mixture into 2 parts, add green and red colouring to each batter. Mix well.
- Boil water in a pan.
- Take a pinch of dough, shape with your palms to form a long round shape.
- Drop them into the boiling water.
- When the rolls float on top of the surface, they are done.
- Remove and drain, rinse with cold water so they won’t get sticky.
- Roll them in grated coconut that has been seasoned with salt and sugar.
- Ready to serve
You can use desiccated coconut from local supermarket, however these need to be steamed first. Steam desiccated coconut by adding some water and salt. Steam about ½ hour and you get moist grated coconut, ready to use.